Below are the 15 most powerful immune system boosters which may help to feed and keep your immune system strong. Most of them can be grown and harvested straight from your garden!
- Citrus fruit – high in Vit C which increases the production of white blood cells which are key to fighting infection.
- Red bell peppers – contain twice as much Vit C as citrus fruits and also a rich source of beta carotene, keeping your eyes and skin healthy.
- Broccoli – supercharged with vitamins and minerals. Packed with Vit A,C and E. Healthiest veg to put on the table and cook it as little as possible or not at all!
- Garlic – fights infection, lowers blood pressure and high concentrates of sulphur-containing compounds, allicin, helps boost the immune system.
- Ginger – reduces inflammation, help reduce a sore throat and other inflamed ailments. Also decreases nausea.
- Spinach – rich in Vit C and packed with antioxidants and beta carotene which increases infection-fighting ability of our immune system.
- Plain yogurt – contains live and active cultures which stimulates the immune system to help fight diseases. Good source of Vit D which regulates and boosts the immune system.
- Almonds – high in Vit E which is vital to a healthy immune system. About 46 whole almonds is the recommended daily amount of Vit E.
- Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and contains curcumin which gives it its distinctive bright colour which helps decrease muscle damage.
- Green tea – packed with flavonoids, an antioxidant which enhances the immune system. Also a good source of amino acid L-theanine which aids production of germ-fighting compounds in T-cells.
- Papaya – loaded with Vit C and a digestive enzyme called papain which contains anti-inflammatory effects. Also contains potassium, Vit B and folate which all benefit your overall health.
- Kiwi – full of essential nutrients like folate, potassium, Vit C and K. They all boost white blood cells to fight infection.
- Poultry – high in Vit B-6 which is vital for formation of new red blood cells. A stock or broth made from boiling the bones is full of nutrients for one’s immunity.
- Sunflower seeds – full of phosphorous, magnesium, Vit B-6 and E. Vit E is a powerful antioxidant and is important in regulating and maintaining an immune system.
- Shellfish – clams, crabs, lobster and mussels are high in zinc which helps our immune cells to function effectively. Stick to your daily zinc intake because too much zinc inhibits immune system function.
So much goodness can be grown in the garden and it is one’s first step to healthy living. Take ownership and responsibility of your own well-being by growing a food garden and rely less on the mass grown chemical produce which we feed ourselves and families with!