Some moley facts:
- Moles can be a complete menace in the garden and are difficult to move them on to another garden.
- Moles are digging mammals who can dig up to 20m in 1 day with their specially designed curved front claws.
- They love to eat bugs, ants, spiders, grubs and worms. They can eat up to 23kg’s of worms in a year!
- They paralyse worms and insects with poison in their saliva. They store paralysed food in underground pantries to eat at a later stage.
- Moles have tiny eyes which are covered in fur which explains their bad eyesight, but they have a good sense of smell.
- Moles sadly don’t hibernate!
- Moles are pregnant for 30 – 45 days depending on their species and have 2 – 6 babies, known as pups.
- They live their entire life underground.
- Moles live in every continent except South America and Antartica.
Mole pest control:
- I have come across so many pest control methods and ideas to rid or repel moles from the garden, but I am still searching to find a successful remedy.
- They despise the smell of castor oil, so use a castor oil based repellent.
- Sprinkle dried blood, tobacco and coffee grinds at the hole.
- Stuff spicy chilli down the hole.
- Use a humane trap.
- Vibration devises help to deter them too.
- Get a Jack Russel dog!
This cool guy, always on the look out for them moles.